Skip to main content

My Crafty Week: 10th-16th May

 I've decided to try a new thing on the blog! I'm finding that I'm not posting much as I feel like I need to do a summary post when I finish something - and that can take a while! So these will be little diaries showing what I have got up to and discussing any thoughts I've had along the way, without anything needing to be finished!


Embroidery




The week started with a bit of disappointment as I failed to meet one of my New Year's Resolutions (as made in this post). As you can see from the image above, I've not managed to finish the birth sampler for my friend's son in time for his birthday. But it's much closer than it was and I might be able to get it done by the end of May! New deadline!


Also in embroidery, I made one of my Jacobin Day Quilt Blocks as an applique. I really enjoyed this method, which is completely new to me. The way I did it was like making a little collage of scraps of fabric and felt with embroidery highlights. Though I did cheat a little and use glue for some of the fiddly elements! We're keeping our quilt blocks as a surprise, so here's a tiny peek...


A close-up of an applique scene, showing a pair of red spotted wellingtons and a plant pot with three large blooms


Dress-making

I had the urge to make myself something quick and relatively easy, which wouldn't require complex stages and a toile and so on. I've wanted to make a circle skirt for ages and decided to go for it with a large curtain panel for fabric. The result is very summery and swishy and makes me feel very happy!

Katharine, a fat white woman with long brown hair, stands in front of a mirror holding up her phone to take a picture. Her other hand holds out the side of her skirt. The skirt is ankle length, white with large pink and purple flowers

I also spent several **hours** tidying my sewing corner, putting all my notions and trimmings and fabrics into labelled boxes, and storing patterns and instructions in folders. Remind me to keep it nice and tidy! This process led to me finding my buttonhole foot, which I thought was missing, so I had a little practice at using that - not entirely successfully, so I am going to give it some more attempts before letting loose on the dress I am making that needs buttonholes!


Mending

Another thing I did this week was mop up a few quick mending tasks that had been annoying me, including sewing up the loose seam on a teddy bear, fixing holes in jeans and t-shirts, and making these cute peekaboo patches for my daughter's leggings!

Flat lay of a pair of black leggings. Two large holes at the knees have been patched with dinosaur fabric in such a way that the dinosaurs look like they're peeking through the rip in the leggings


Bonus cat pictures!

A black and white cat sitting on a pinned piece of white fabric patterned with purple and pink flowers

A black and white cat sitting on a large piece of white fabric, paw raised to bat at some threads

Cleocatra was fascinated by my circle skirt fabric and kept trying to pounce on it or me through it!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Top Tips for New Sewers

 While I still consider myself a beginner sewer, I do feel that I have made some progress. It's now been about a year since I started sewing again, having not got far at all the first time I tried. I dusted off the sewing machine to make some face masks at first, and that really boosted my confidence to start making more and more. Recently I made a couple more face masks and was surprised at how much better I was at them and how much I understood about the reasoning behind the construction method and pattern. Proof of progress!  So even though I still feel very much like a beginner, and have a LOT still to learn and many skills to practice, I thought I would share the most useful things I have learned to date plus some resources that have helped me. 1. PINS . Seriously. Pin everything together. Then go back and add more pins. I used to shove a couple of pins in and then get cross that the fabric slipped or the lines were wonky. Pins (or clips) are your friends. Make your seam line

Failing better...?

 Choosing to ignore the many arguments about whether Samuel Beckett's 'Fail Better' quote is less motivational and more despairing when actually read in it's original context I'm here today to blog about why I find #sewingfails a useful (if still a dispiriting) experience. And why I think making a toile or muslin is a must in dressmaking, especially when trying a new pattern for the first time! This started with an experiment (SCIENCE!) - In the Year That Shall Not Be Named I had planned to get back into sewing more than I have in recent years. I started the year with a brand new sewing machine (my trusty vintage New Home having finally died a death), a plan to take a class a month on something  craft or sewing related and a vague internal promise to actually use up some of my ridiculous sewing fabric stash. I...failed. Classes were cancelled after I only managed the first 3 (Jan-Mar), WFH did not bring bags of time & energy for sewing and from Monday to Friday

The #JacobinDay Quilt Block Swap (#JDQBS)

  It all started with a Tweet... Well, maybe it all started in 1793, when the new French government introduced a new calendar, one that was stripped of royal and religious influences, used a decimal system, and celebrated the ordinary, everyday passing of the seasons within nature, agriculture and gardening. According to our friend Wikipedia   the months were given new names based on Parisian weather patterns: Autumn: Vendémiaire  (from French  vendange , derived from Latin  vindemia , "vintage"), starting 22, 23, or 24 September Brumaire  (from French  brume , "mist"), starting 22, 23, or 24 October Frimaire  (From French  frimas , "frost"), starting 21, 22, or 23 November Winter: Nivôse  (from Latin  nivosus , "snowy"), starting 21, 22, or 23 December Pluviôse  (from French  pluvieux , derived from Latin  pluvius , "rainy"), starting 20, 21, or 22 January Ventôse  (from French  venteux , derived from Latin  ventosus , "windy"