Skip to main content

Musings of a Beginner Dress-maker: #historybounding

 I've always wanted to learn to make my own clothes, but it's not something I've had time or felt confident enough to try until recently. I am ENTIRELY a beginner - I didn't have a single sewing lesson at school and until I bought my first one had not so much as touched a sewing machine.


I wrote in my Sewing Resolutions post about being plus-size and how I see dressmaking as a way to make clothes that fit me well. But that's not the whole story, and I've recently found a community of sewers who express exactly what I would like to achieve: #historybounding


The term #historybounding was coined by Morgan Donner in this video:


It refers to those of us who want to incorporate some historical elements to our daily style, whether that is going full-on vintage or using shapes, silhouettes and accessories that 'feel' historical. There's a strong overlap between "history bounders" and #costubers - those people who have YouTube channels where they film themselves making full Victorian ballgowns or Viking dresses. Is that something I can see myself doing in future... maybe? If my sewing skills develop well enough. I'm not sure what I would DO in a full Victorian gown - most #costubers seem to go to conventions and events in their gowns and I can't see myself doing that.


So for now, #historybounding - I want to incorporate elements of historical style into my daily attire. Anything in particular? Well, I love the #darkacademia look as espoused by You Tubers like Rachel Maksy and Bernadette Banner: 



And I also enjoy the #cottagecore vibe, e.g. strolling through a field in a floaty dress and stays pretending to be a Hobbit or an NPC in a fantasy video game.



What I am still working out is how my love of pattern fits in here! I do adore a quirky pattern and most of the fabric I have bought to make my own clothes from is patterned.

So I do think I am going to end up developing a look that's a cosplay of Ms Frizzle as an Edwardian school marm - like that's a bad thing!







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Top Tips for New Sewers

 While I still consider myself a beginner sewer, I do feel that I have made some progress. It's now been about a year since I started sewing again, having not got far at all the first time I tried. I dusted off the sewing machine to make some face masks at first, and that really boosted my confidence to start making more and more. Recently I made a couple more face masks and was surprised at how much better I was at them and how much I understood about the reasoning behind the construction method and pattern. Proof of progress!  So even though I still feel very much like a beginner, and have a LOT still to learn and many skills to practice, I thought I would share the most useful things I have learned to date plus some resources that have helped me. 1. PINS . Seriously. Pin everything together. Then go back and add more pins. I used to shove a couple of pins in and then get cross that the fabric slipped or the lines were wonky. Pins (or clips) are your friends. Make your seam line

Failing better...?

 Choosing to ignore the many arguments about whether Samuel Beckett's 'Fail Better' quote is less motivational and more despairing when actually read in it's original context I'm here today to blog about why I find #sewingfails a useful (if still a dispiriting) experience. And why I think making a toile or muslin is a must in dressmaking, especially when trying a new pattern for the first time! This started with an experiment (SCIENCE!) - In the Year That Shall Not Be Named I had planned to get back into sewing more than I have in recent years. I started the year with a brand new sewing machine (my trusty vintage New Home having finally died a death), a plan to take a class a month on something  craft or sewing related and a vague internal promise to actually use up some of my ridiculous sewing fabric stash. I...failed. Classes were cancelled after I only managed the first 3 (Jan-Mar), WFH did not bring bags of time & energy for sewing and from Monday to Friday

The #JacobinDay Quilt Block Swap (#JDQBS)

  It all started with a Tweet... Well, maybe it all started in 1793, when the new French government introduced a new calendar, one that was stripped of royal and religious influences, used a decimal system, and celebrated the ordinary, everyday passing of the seasons within nature, agriculture and gardening. According to our friend Wikipedia   the months were given new names based on Parisian weather patterns: Autumn: Vendémiaire  (from French  vendange , derived from Latin  vindemia , "vintage"), starting 22, 23, or 24 September Brumaire  (from French  brume , "mist"), starting 22, 23, or 24 October Frimaire  (From French  frimas , "frost"), starting 21, 22, or 23 November Winter: Nivôse  (from Latin  nivosus , "snowy"), starting 21, 22, or 23 December Pluviôse  (from French  pluvieux , derived from Latin  pluvius , "rainy"), starting 20, 21, or 22 January Ventôse  (from French  venteux , derived from Latin  ventosus , "windy"