Skip to main content

Upcycling: Jar to Tealight Holder

I am a hoarder of useful jars, I just can't help it! You never know when you might need one to wash brushes in, make a mini-terrarium or use as an emergency vase. So I knew I had to keep this lovely mayonnaise jar - such a pleasing shape!




I put it through the dishwasher and cut off the plastic film label. I then used standard decorator's masking tape to make an outline on the glass. As it's Christmas I went for a simple Nativity of star, stable and crib with rays of divine light emitting forth.




It was a little fiddly to snip up the sticky masking tape, ideally the design would have been a bit more delicate. I think it would work well with smaller shapes dotted across the glass (might try that next!)




I then mixed acrylic paint (set of 20 tubes, £8 at The Works), using black and white to make darker and lighter shades of blue. I applied it to the glass with a dishwashing sponge which gives an even coverage and allows you to blend the different shades.




Once dry (I left it for a few hours) it was time to carefully peel off the tape. I was pleased with the crispness of the result though not too happy with the design as said. I feel that the light would look better shining through thinner lines.




Here it is lit up by an LED tealight.


This was a quick, fun and easy project which looked effective. It would definitely be one to do with the kids. You could also upcycle the jar to make a mini-vase, pencil pot, or sweetie jar.


Katharine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Top Tips for New Sewers

 While I still consider myself a beginner sewer, I do feel that I have made some progress. It's now been about a year since I started sewing again, having not got far at all the first time I tried. I dusted off the sewing machine to make some face masks at first, and that really boosted my confidence to start making more and more. Recently I made a couple more face masks and was surprised at how much better I was at them and how much I understood about the reasoning behind the construction method and pattern. Proof of progress!  So even though I still feel very much like a beginner, and have a LOT still to learn and many skills to practice, I thought I would share the most useful things I have learned to date plus some resources that have helped me. 1. PINS . Seriously. Pin everything together. Then go back and add more pins. I used to shove a couple of pins in and then get cross that the fabric slipped or the lines were wonky. Pins (or clips) are your friends. Make your seam line

Failing better...?

 Choosing to ignore the many arguments about whether Samuel Beckett's 'Fail Better' quote is less motivational and more despairing when actually read in it's original context I'm here today to blog about why I find #sewingfails a useful (if still a dispiriting) experience. And why I think making a toile or muslin is a must in dressmaking, especially when trying a new pattern for the first time! This started with an experiment (SCIENCE!) - In the Year That Shall Not Be Named I had planned to get back into sewing more than I have in recent years. I started the year with a brand new sewing machine (my trusty vintage New Home having finally died a death), a plan to take a class a month on something  craft or sewing related and a vague internal promise to actually use up some of my ridiculous sewing fabric stash. I...failed. Classes were cancelled after I only managed the first 3 (Jan-Mar), WFH did not bring bags of time & energy for sewing and from Monday to Friday

The #JacobinDay Quilt Block Swap (#JDQBS)

  It all started with a Tweet... Well, maybe it all started in 1793, when the new French government introduced a new calendar, one that was stripped of royal and religious influences, used a decimal system, and celebrated the ordinary, everyday passing of the seasons within nature, agriculture and gardening. According to our friend Wikipedia   the months were given new names based on Parisian weather patterns: Autumn: Vendémiaire  (from French  vendange , derived from Latin  vindemia , "vintage"), starting 22, 23, or 24 September Brumaire  (from French  brume , "mist"), starting 22, 23, or 24 October Frimaire  (From French  frimas , "frost"), starting 21, 22, or 23 November Winter: Nivôse  (from Latin  nivosus , "snowy"), starting 21, 22, or 23 December Pluviôse  (from French  pluvieux , derived from Latin  pluvius , "rainy"), starting 20, 21, or 22 January Ventôse  (from French  venteux , derived from Latin  ventosus , "windy"